21.1.16

Nervous, nah.

Currently riding the Victoria line tube with two suitcases, my mother and Mr Gin also a percentage of London's tradesmen as they head to work. It is early, there are cheap energy drinks being clutched and gentle body sways of the people with the ability to sleep sitting up.
Today is the day. We are heading to Epsom to check in. Surgery is happening today.
I got asked at work if I was nervous a while back, the answer was no, bloody petrified but not nervous.
I've had enough operations to know what to expect, generally, I'm pretty good with general anaesthetics and I've researched the facility well enough to be comfortable they know what they are doing.
I'm petrified of the other side. The pain factor of having bone removed is unknown, the ability to bounce back is unknown and although I know the percentages of complications, they still scare me, a lot.
The threat of nerve damage and infection are looming shadows. Nerve damage, especially of the sciatic nerve worries me a lot. There is no guarantee of its location and in my case if it is not caught up in scar tissue. It is going to be stretched and nerves really dislike this, really, really. I have a friend who has periodic bouts of sciatica and to have that all the time is something I would struggle with.
Infection causes all sorts of mayhem, it may cause a revision, having to fix or put in another replacement. At my age, 41, I can not afford that. I'm only going to be able to have three possibly four replacements in my life, they last about 15 years and my grandmother lived to 93. As you can see, I really want avoid a revision.  I have had a friend who had revisions done in her 40s and the effect on her mobility is affected to a life changing extent. Again an outcome that I want to avoid at all costs.
So, here I am, an empty tummy and dry hands because no food since midnight and no moisturiser allowed.
At midday my life will change and hopefully Mr Hutt  will make it for the better. I have list of things I want to do when this is over.
So, not nervous but suitably scared of downsides to work bloody hard at avoiding them.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Catherine, I'll be thinking of you. Wish I were closer and could come visit after. The upside is that there are Wonderful drugs they can give you and the pain will decrease each day. Fingers crossed that the doctor gets it right on the first go.

    ReplyDelete