3.3.16

Six weeks!

Six weeks this time I was sitting up in a hospital bed with Mr Gin and Mum chatting away. I had a very numb, wooden leg and the bruises had started to rise.
Six weeks is the sweet spot with hip replacements. You get rid of TEDs, you can drive, some can go back to work, you can road test it in intimate moments and you have a check up with your surgeon. A lot of the dangers have gone, dislocation, although still a risk for a month or so longer is less. You can start to experiment with going over 90 degrees and generally try and get your new life going.
It has been an interesting time, it has been eye opening how amazing my body is and how crap my brain chemistry is.
I have more movement and mobility than ever. I have even legs which means when sorted I should not have a limp. I have never walked without one, it has been always there, from a small one right through to a full hip hiking ship rolling pirate walk. My muscles stop me before the joint, again a new experience.
My brain has suffered a bit. There have been some very flat days. Sitting and crying because bed to drawers was hard work. Struggling to see the point of getting out of bed. Losing days to Minecraft because then l don't have think about much more than killing zombies and long straight tunnels hunting for diamonds. And then amazing highs, feeling like I could take on the world and then taking a step and everything goes ouch. At least I knew how screwed my brain was going to be. I knew I could be crying over silly things and struggling with feeling useless.
My rock, Mr Gin, has been amazing, through thick and thin. Being caring and carrying most of the house hold duties. And just his presence pretty much limited my mood.
It certainly feels a lot longer than six weeks, the improvements so swift. I'm able to shower myself, almost get socks on like a normal person, walk with one crutch, waddle without any and be pretty much pain free. Still taking naproxen but don't miss the grinding and gripping pain of bone on bone.
All it has been an amazing ride and it can only get better.
Tonight, I will have some drinks with good mates and celebrate this exciting new chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment