27.2.16

Adventures in London

When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life. – Samuel Johnston

Well, I am not tired but it is interesting to navigate when you are a bit nervy of being knocked!
When my mother started shoving me out the front door it was just trips up the road and then buses. London buses are not too bad as long they come close enough to the curb and if they don’t the lower the bus you are feeling brave enough to ask if they have not. (All buses should lower or kneel but be aware they need to close the door to lower them.)

Our first big trip was to the Houses of Parliament, done as close to her departure date as we could so I could go with her (three weeks post operation). We had teed up a wheelchair for the tour and figured buses were the best route.

On the day though, I realised that I had to deal with the tube sometime and just buses was going to take FOREVER! Normally we would take the Victoria Line but changing onto the circle and district would be problematic with steps, escalators and lots of people. Mr Gin suggested the Jubilee Line because we can get there via bus and we would start at Stratford which is the start of the line and easy to get a seat. The added bonus is that a lot of Jubilee Line has step free access and the Westminster stop is very close!  The TFL journey planner is pretty good but really gets confused that buses do terminate at the Stratford Bus station and if should not take looking up the route map to work out which bus goes all the way! I should write them and tell them this.

So, off we went. The first buses were easy, seats found down stairs easily and then rode all the way to the end in Stratford. Then it was a measure of stubbornness as we went into the station and not ducking around people and staring people with strollers down as they attempted to use the baby carriages as a battering ram. We took the road of least resistance and got on the train that was leaving in five minutes even though people where running for it and the train on the adjacent platform was going before it.

The journey to Westminster was uneventful. Getting out of the station was a bit of adventure as it did take three lifts and the middle one was not that well labelled but we found it in the end.

We had lunch and then headed to Parliament house. Once we were through security, which I was quite nervous about this, I was not that stable and really did not want to have to walk through the metal detector unaided. It was apparent the security team was well versed in this sort of situation and my crutches were whisked away, x-rayed, given back to me and I hobbled through the arch. I was then patted down and when I said I had surgery, I was asked what and were and they were gentle over the operation site!
Once we were in we got a a wheelchair! Joyce was in charge of driving me in the chair with me hanging onto my crutches. This has to be one of the funniest experiences I have had. Mum has never pushed a wheelchair and there was a lot giggling.




The Houses of Parliament are not the most accessible place on earth. And the first part of the tour was up some stairs. The guide organised someone to show us how to get there and off we went on a round about way through carpark, past ATMs and in some tiny lifts that required some odd manoeuvring to get the three of us in.  These lifts produced the most giggling as there was dodgem car like motions to get the car in.

The tour was very good and generally accessible except some moments, not being able to roll through the House of Lords or Commons but we did get to see other places the rest of the tour missed.
We also had afternoon tea and the same routine happened and we saw different parts of the House.



We returned home through the rush hour and that was a bit more of a challenge and although I got a seat, my mother had to stand for a few stops on the tube. We fared better on buses.
All in all it was a success and London showed us her best.

After my Mum left Mr Gin was put in charge of getting us to a Hen and Stag night in heart of London. At 4 weeks post operation and with Mr Gin leading the charge, I was ready to attempt the most vital obstacle to defeat when travelling in London. The Escalator!

So, off we went bus, train and into Liverpool Street station with lots of people heading out and escalators. We waited till it was a little quiet, as much  as it can be on Saturday night. And then off we went! It was quiet anticlimactic, in truth, stepped on and off, with a little wobble. Mission success.
I am glad I'm in London though, if I was reliant on a car I would be more house bound than I am already. Certainly not tired of London, yet.

1 comment: