29.2.16

One crutch, two crutches, one leg, two legs.

I think I am staging a mini rebellion. A week and half a go I went off the physiotherapist at my local hospital.  The physio was nice enough but it became clear that I was the youngest hip replacement patient she had meet by some years.

She said I was to stay on two crutches till the consultant. Considering she was sceptical I was meant to be fully weight bearing on the leg and she struggled with why someone so young would need complex surgery, I decided to ignore her. I took on board the extra exercises and some stretches she gave me. Also the critic of me swinging me right foot out when I walk, I try to remember this but it is a habit of a life time.

The exercises I have been doing are going well, although Mr Gin trying synchronised exercises did mean a massive amount of giggling and general silliness.  The amount of movement I am getting every day is getting better and better.

So, back to the ignoring. I have been using one crutch in the house. This all of a sudden makes being in the house on my own so much easier! Being able to carry a bowl to the table to make my own breakfast is bliss! It makes so many things easier, and far less frustrating. Being able to fetch and carry even with one hand is immensely satisfying. Also it is more tiring because I am putting much less weight through the crutch and making the legs work harder.

If I have something at hand to steady myself, I tend to abandon the crutch, using bench tops and drawers instead.  This has meant I have cooked some full meals and getting dressed in the morning is a bit less hit and miss and giving and just wearing what was on the floor.

The two crutches are being used in the outside world, I am still very afraid of being knocked over and London is a busy town with lots of people who don’t look where they are going. Two crutches does tend highlight I am there. (Also the colourful language.)

I am not abandoning the crutches completely, not until I see Mr Hutt. I have a lot of questions for him, including the time frame for getting rid the blasted crutches. I will be so pleased went I will be walking around on my own two feet.  After that… running… maybe.

And for those counting, we have gone past five weeks since cutty, cutty, slicey slice.

2 comments: